Friday, July 31, 2009

My food train

Erin and I went and saw Food Inc. tonight. I really thought I would have had to wait until video, because obviously there is not enough demand in Jacksonville for this kind of scatological rhetoric (as obviously referenced by the two perturbed couples in front of us that walked out 20 min. into the show)
Thanks to the San Marco Theater , Erin and I were able to enjoy some nachos and a pale ale, while watching. The movie was really well done. Really well produced. Really well executed. It did a good job of putting this entire food crisis that our nation is in, into a obtainable package, without the Michael Moore scare tactics.
The film nicely highlighted the importance of eating organic, supporting local agriculture, being your own advocate, etc etc. It was ushered by the eloquent Michael Pollan (read all his books),
and included interviews by Americas farmers, corn councils, and even the Kevin's Law mom. The one thing that I don't feel like it illustrated was just how difficult it is to live this lifestyle. It hinted at this when during one scene a gentleman commented that he drove 300 miles to get to a farm to purchase chickens that were raised in a truly all natural environment.

The fact is that, it's HARD. Especially in the smaller cities of our nation. It's usually out the way to access these healthy choices. It's expensive, and overwhelming. But it's important, even one step at a time. Here are some resources to help you out. I'm no expert on this, but I love talking about it. If you have questions or even want to argue, please write me. I'd love to chat.

10 Steps you can do now

Localharvest.org - great resource for finding local CSA's, Farmers Markets, and Co-ops
Slow food - Promotes local food choices and eating in local tradition

Your dollars are what can make a difference. If we demand change every day, with our dollars, with what we put in our stomachs, we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment