Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Matchforcouples.com

Yesterday morning I was driving in to our family owned gift shop (Daffodils) to put in my obligatory time. As I drove past our redneck neighbors to get there, I was overcome by a general feeling of sadness. I had the compulsion to text Erin and say, Don't worry babe - just remember how long it took to form those friendships in Los Angeles. I talked myself out of doing that in case she was actually having a good day.
I got to work in the gift shop and busied myself with opening duties, which I kind of just made up on the spot. It was some what cathartic to be busy and helping people, even though I did promise myself I wouldn't work in retail again, after my time at the Gap and Blockbuster. In trying to determine where this swell of joy aroused from, I realized that it was contributed to being "busy". Any of you who know me know I do best when busy - when left stagnant I get cranky and need my bottle. Busy is also a key word for lonely too, I think.
I talked to Erin, by phone, mid morning, and she was beginning to express similar feelings. "I don't have anything to do and anyone to talk to about it." I should have sent the text message!
That's when it hit me - there should be a Match.com, but for couples. One that couples could go on to find other couples with similar interests. I know it sounds corny, and probably insulting to those who are single, but I would bet there are quite a few people across America who relocate, as a couple, and have a hard time getting started meeting people in a new area.
The I realized thats kind of what facebook is about - not entirely, but surely one facet serves that need.
I ended the day at Hatcher's house, where I played rock band until my wrist hurt and it made all those earlier feelings subside. It's just going to take time. LA wasn't what it was in 1 month, or even a year. It was 7 years of memories.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.meetup.com/

    I've meet all kinds of fun people through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it's rough buddy. New muscles to flex. Call me when you need an ear.
    Cor

    ReplyDelete