Monday, February 9, 2009

T5

I am sitting in the new Jet Blue terminal 5 at JFK (which is ridiculously amazing) reflecting on the last 36 hours. Erin and I went on an impromptu trip to see Lin-Manuel do his thing in In The Heights. He is leaving the show on Feb 15th - and we both felt like this was an opportunity not to be missed.
Our friends Jimmy and Kelly were nice enough to let us bunk up at their place in Astoria and our other friends Emi, Paul, and Kate-monster met us for the night. The show was unforgettable. In my eyes (and ears) it's set a new marker for Broadway musicals. It's to this generation what rent was to my generation. The show, from every aspect, oozes cohesive juicy goodness. From sets, to lights, to choreography, to music, lyrics, talent.....on and on. Supid good.
At the curtain call Lin-Manuel came out last holding posterboard with "We just won" on one side. He took his bow and then flipped it over, "A Grammy". The crowd went wild - the cast was beaming.
We left and met up with Emi's old roomates at The Duplex (a piano bar downtown) where we sang classics and show tunes and had drinks until the wee hours of the morning.
My highlight was looking over at my wife, watching her singing musicals with all her friends, grinning from ear to ear. She had a light in her eyes that hadn't sparked that deep down happy way in a while. I was somewhat the introvert - just taking it all in. It's rare for me to take on that role, but I'm so happy that I did, because it allowed me to see her glow. She looked beautiful. It was truly the icing.

1 comment: