Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mowing Etiquette

Since becoming a homeowner,l I have learned to find joy in yard work. It's the summer now, so Florida pretty much requires you to mow once a week. You have to water constantly and the St. Augustine grass is somewhat ornery.
I've got the mower, blower, and weed whacker. What I haven't figured out yet though is what to do with all the stuff I blow off after a mowing. I use a bag on the mower, so I'm not left with a LOT of clippings, probably the normal amount.
I've watched the professional crews and it looks like they either a) blow it into the middle of the road or across the street into someone else's gutter or b) blow it down the street until eventually, little by little, it gets consumed by all the neighbors yards.
So whats right here? What's proper and nice?

Any thoughts chime in.

2 comments:

  1. We used to leave it on the grass - it's a natural fertilizer. Or you could start a compost pile and dump the clippings there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, mow with a mulcher on instead of bagging AND you only water twic a week for about 20-30 minutes / section. Too much water and the roots of the grass stay on the surface and than burn easily or dont become strong enough to fight off things like bugs, or fungus.

    ReplyDelete