Friday, January 16, 2009

Truly Special - Needs

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Erin's workplace. I fulfilled my husband-ly duties of meeting the colleagues and mentors and I really did enjoy it.

While visiting the middle school, we got to spend some time in the Special Needs classroom. Now i've spent some time in thee classrooms before - but this experience was different. I'm not sure if I was different or the kids just hit me differently.
There was this little girl (I say little - she was probably 13) who was severely Autistic. She had a little purple squishy ball to keep herself stimulated and she made lots of noises and held my gaze surprisingly well. I couldn't stop staring at this girl - it was as if she was trying to tell me something with her eyes. I looked at her and felt horrible for her. It felt like there was this amazing being inside that was trapped. Someone who couldn't express themselves outside of the occasional inappropriate scream or hand clap.
Her eyes said so much though, and my heart went out to her. I wanted to give her the tools. I turned to Erin and asked her what would happen if someone just sat down and taught her to say "hi". Erin looked at me and said, I think it's too late, she wouldn't know what to do with that word.
I know "special needs" has become somewhat of a hot term, especially autism. This was my first experience with someone that deep into the condition, or whatever it is. Again - it could be chalked up to me being the age I am, and her being there in that moment. Everything happens because it happens right? Either way , I have to thank her and the class for letting me participate in their game of calculators and marbles. It was such a joy to watch, and such a nice departure from moving. I can talk, I can express myself, and I could take care of myself (even though it's more fun to let Erin do that sometimes).
Thanks for reminding me of all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment